Friday, March 06, 2009

sunsets and rainbows (and puppy dogs and cotton candy)

I'm currently staying on the top floor of a kindergarten in Battambang, Cambodia, and from my room I can hear the children laughing and playing in the classrooms below.
The door at the back of my little flat leads out to the roof, the best place to catch a nice breeze at the end of a hot, dry afternoon. A few of us were up there a couple of nights ago, waiting for the sun to set so we could break our fast with fresh mangos or dragon fruit or guavas or oranges (it's currently the Baha'i fast).
It had rained that afternoon, but the sky was clearing, the sun dipping low in the sky and ringing the clouds with gold. To the east, a double rainbow stood out against dark clouds in the distance.
I hear it's still winter in Canada.

2 Comments:

At 4:03 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Except in Vancouver and VIctoria, where there are already plenty of flowers in bloom. But yeah, it's winter in the rest of Canada. 16cm of snow at Big White on Thursday, for instance. Ask mom, she was there. too.

 
At 9:18 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I could still smell the heat and feel the dry, hot air of battambang and frankly I don't miss that. But reading this made it sound beautiful - c'mon. double rainbow? wow. :) miss u ryry.

-amy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home