Sunday, February 22, 2004

Well, another lovely work day is drawing to an end (it is currently 3:56 am, local time...maybe I just really wish my job was in Vancouver...or LA, or some other city where now would be a dandy time to be finishing work.)
Whenever I leave my office I call the 24-hour security that patrols the the offices at the Baha's World Centre because all of the alarms are turned on, so whenever I, say, go to the bathroom after 10pm I must call the security and let them know that all the alarms going off are just me having a pee. I feel like I'm in elementry school again:
ring ring
"Hello?"
"Hello 24 hour security dispatch office, I'm on my way to the toilet now. Please disregard all alarms that will be going off in about 1 minute."
"Ok then."
"Bye"
"Bye"
Luckily all the alarms are silent, otherwise I'd pee in a jar in my office.
And of course, I never actually tell them I'm going to the bathroom, that would be too embarassing. My new pee euphamism is "I'm going to make myself some tea". Though, there are also security cameras all over the building, so they know that I don't always make tea. They probably think I'm the most forgetful guy in the whole world.
"Look, he's on his way to make tea again, and I bet you a dollar that by the time he gets out of the bathroom he'll forget why he came upstairs!"

Now, I could simply not call them and they would see me on the security cameras like they do every night and just ignore me (or wait and see if I remember to make that cup of tea that I obviously have come upstairs for), which I suppose is fine for pee breaks (though the security guards would hate me because everytime the alarm goes off and they don't get a call they have to check the building and write a report), but I'd still be sure to call them every time I leave for home. Because some of the outside guards are Israeli. And you don't mess with Israeli security. Especially when they're armed.
Must go, time to make a phone call...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home