Monday, May 23, 2005

The Anatomy of Sarcasm

Ok, I know I told you no more updates for a while, but this was just way too good to pass up.
I know linking to an American Pychological Association press release isn't really a post exactly, but it is somewhat relavent to my life. You see, I'm a big fan of sarcasm though my mother always told me it was the lowest form of humour. I'm also a big fan of users of sarcasm (though perhaps they're the lowest form of people...) and here in Haifa, where we have such a diversity of cultures, it's been interesting to see who gets sarcasm and who doesn't.
...I'm trying to think of a witty and sarcastic way to end this post but I'm just coming up blank. Ummm...yeah. Why don't you all just pretend that I ended this post with some biting sarcasm about brain anatomy or something and we'll just leave it at that.

2 Comments:

At 8:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's a useful study.

 
At 1:53 p.m., Blogger sashwee said...

There is more to sarcasm, or irony, rather than brain functions. I think that culture and understanding the context is a big part of it. The Danes are very ironic, not only in humor, but in all sorts of every day conversation. As a foreigner, I often didn't know the context well enough to realize that people often meant the exact opposite of what they were saying. I'd say "O really? I didn't know that!" And people wouldn't know how to answer or where to look: Is she being ironic (didn't seem like it, with her wide-eyed interest) or is she just completely dumb?

My theory about that habit of irony in Danish culture (which is reserved, does not use warm and open expressions of affection and friendship) is that it is a device of inclusion because when you understand my irony it is a manifestation of how much we have in common, how similar our lives are or how much we know about each other. Unfortunately for those coming from outside it is also a good way to be exclusive, even if that is not the intent.

Btw, to answer your question, I found out about your blogs from the Ishikawa blog. But what a funny thing to look surprised about and ask, because don't you have blogs so that people will read them, and don't we know a lot the same people?

Selvi

 

Post a Comment

<< Home