Thursday, November 03, 2005

Cinemania the movie

I also managed to squeeze in this little doco tonight, five minutes at a time. And I have to say, I think it's viewed better that way. It was actually nice to be able to pause the action for a moment a marvel at the insanity of what you'd just seen.
The movie follows five "cinemaniacs" in New York as they eat, sleep, and breathe movies (they routinely watch 3, 4, 5 movies a day) They say the expected obsessive things like "It's better than sex, you know, it's better than love. It's beyond obsession, I don't know what it is, there's no word for it..." There may not be a word for it, but there sure is a disorder for it. OCD anyone?
Anyway, the kicker at the end has the five of them (or maybe it's only four, I think one is missing) watching an early cut of the film. So these five (or maybe four) complete cinephiles are sitting in the dark, watching their lives up on screen. Watching themselves eat, hang out, talk to each other and, above all, watch movies. And you get the sense when the lights come up that it all seemed perfectly natural for them. Like that's how they see themselves all the time anyway.
Really an fantastic documentary. Highly recommend it.

1 Comments:

At 11:06 a.m., Blogger Shingo said...

Mr. Lash,
I don't think I can muster up a witty comment at this time as Shiori chan is demanding of some attention...however, just wanted to let you know that I'm reading and enjoying..even if I don't get a chance to comment as often as before, I'm reading :) thank you!
Mrs. Ishikawa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home