Thursday, July 01, 2004

Hello? Are you sure I'm the one you want?

Ok, so with phenomenal timing to fit right into my "isn't the internet a wondrous place of intimate anonymity?" comes today's little episode:
At 3:19:58 pm this afternoon, an MSN message box popped up on my screen and someone using the screen name "new cell # is xxx-xxxx [I've removed the number] for those who want it" typed: "what's up with your name?"
I had no idea who it was, and since their email address (which I have also removed from the conversation) wasn't any help, I played it cool and replied. We ended up chatting for a few minutes and the entire time I had no idea who I was talking to. Finally, I think he figured out that I wasn't who he thought I was and he left, making an excuse that he had to go and wake up his brother.

For your enjoyment I offer you the following transcript (the text has been altered to remove his name and phone number, to protect his identity; and to correct my embarrassing spelling. to make me look smarter):


new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:19:58 PM)
what's up with ur name?

(P) in Israel says: (3:20:25 PM)
what's up with yours?

(P) in Israel says: (3:20:49 PM)
making friends?

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:21:04 PM)
well...i got a new cell phone and i posted this msn name so that my friends could get my # without me having to call them all up

(P) in Israel says: (3:21:21 PM)
that's handy

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:21:26 PM)
basically everyone on my list is a friend of mine

(P) in Israel says: (3:21:35 PM)
I posted this name so that people know where I am...

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:21:36 PM)
and urs?

(P) in Israel says: (3:21:51 PM)
I have friends that I don't keep in touch with so often...

(P) in Israel says: (3:22:04 PM)
it saves them having to ask

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:22:43 PM)
alright, i'm confused

(P) in Israel says: (3:22:49 PM)
me too

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:22:55 PM)
that's good

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:22:58 PM)
this is ryan right?

(P) in Israel says: (3:23:02 PM)
uhhh.. yeah

(P) in Israel says: (3:23:05 PM)
yeah it is

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:23:09 PM)
haha

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:23:18 PM)
what r u doin in israel then?

(P) in Israel says: (3:23:26 PM)
taking pictures...

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:23:27 PM)
is that what u call ur house?

(P) in Israel says: (3:23:37 PM)
my house?

(P) in Israel says: (3:23:59 PM)
ok, ummm...

(P) in Israel says: (3:24:10 PM)
your cel doesn't give it away...

(P) in Israel says: (3:24:24 PM)
and uhhh...neither does your email address...

(P) in Israel says: (3:24:34 PM)
so...ummm...I really have to ask

(P) in Israel says: (3:24:53 PM)
and risk feeling like a bit of a loser...

(P) in Israel says: (3:24:58 PM)
who is this?

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:25:03 PM)
it's [his first name]

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:25:06 PM)
i already think ur a loser

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:25:08 PM)
[his last name]

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:25:38 PM)
did u think i was someone else?

(P) in Israel says: (3:25:58 PM)
I wasn't sure who you were... [At this point I'm trying frantically to remember if I know anyone with his name. I'm pretty sure that I don't.]

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:26:45 PM)
do u talk to strangers?

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:26:58 PM)
especially ones that offer candy?

(P) in Israel says: (3:27:02 PM)
sure, if they're willing to give me their cel numbers

(P) in Israel says: (3:27:17 PM)
so I can call them up and berate them afterwards

(P) in Israel says: (3:27:50 PM)
though, without an area code, it might be tough

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:28:13 PM)
same area code as u right....?

(P) in Israel says: (3:28:25 PM)
I doubt it

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:28:27 PM)
260 [ I figured this was ok to leave in, especially since I googled it to find out where he was in case it helped me to figure out who it was I was talking to. It didn't, so later on I asked about the weather.]

(P) in Israel says: (3:28:42 PM)
mine is 04-972 (I think)

(P) in Israel says: (3:28:50 PM)
I can never remember...

(P) in Israel says: (3:29:00 PM)
I really am in Israel right now

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:29:58 PM)
alright

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:31:49 PM)
how was spiderman?

(P) in Israel says: (3:32:41 PM)
not sure actually, it's not here yet

(P) in Israel says: (3:32:54 PM)
we're a little behind on the whole movie scene

(P) in Israel says: (3:33:16 PM)
should be here soon though...

(P) in Israel says: (3:33:32 PM)
should I send you a review when I see it?

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:33:48 PM)
sure thing

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:33:49 PM)
haha

(P) in Israel says: (3:34:23 PM)
So how's the weather in Seattle? [Here's me asking about the weather. Except that Seattle is 206, not 260]

(P) in Israel says: (3:35:05 PM)
Sorry, Indiana? [so I tried again.]

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:35:35 PM)
oh, just dandy..gotta go and wake my lazy brother up [I think this is where he started to realize that I wasn't just his friend trying to be funny.]

(P) in Israel says: (3:35:51 PM)
alright, this was surreal

(P) in Israel says: (3:35:58 PM)
good luck with the brother

new cell # is xxx-xxxx for those who want it says: (3:37:19 PM)
l8ter

(P) in Israel says: (3:37:25 PM)
yeah


And that was it. I'm wondering if he's going to show up again sometime after he asks his friend Ryan why he was being such a dork on MSN the other day. I'll keep you posted. Or maybe I'll just call him up...

2 Comments:

At 7:25 a.m., Blogger aMy said...

that's hilarious! I remember years ago when chatting online with a senior in high school who's studying overseas, and having a crush on him..only to realize that I got the wrong guy after he pointed out to me how he looks like in the school magazine. It was confusing to realize the person you've been talking to is not who you thought it was! It broke my heart.. though I kept telling myself that there's nothing to do with how he looks. =/

 
At 9:31 p.m., Blogger Sara Popp said...

Ryan, that was one of the funniest things I've read in awhile. Gave me chuckle on a slightly grouchy morning. (BTW, ya know why I love Flickr? Because this morning I was content in my little bubble, and now I'm gleefully diving into a stranger's life and lovin it. What a nifty world it is.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home